Layover Life: Bologna, Italy

Hello from Bologna! My reserve month is finally coming to an end! Only 3 days left to go...I can't complain though, even if it started off pretty busy with all the standbys and all the turnarounds I got 2 amazing trips from it. I went to Osaka and stayed for 48 hours there (an extra 24 because the plane decided to break down) and Bologna. My day started off with airport standby from 0600-1000, I knew I would get pulled out for something you that gut feeling that tells you stuff, kind of like a 6th sense? Yeah that thing so I arrived at the standby lounge to see that I'd been assigned the flight. I was actually expecting a turnaround so this was amazing. 
We got to BLQ around 1pm so it was perfect timing to get to the hotel, take a quick shower and head out to walk the streets of this beautiful city. 3 of us went together, we don't like giant groups because things get complicated and annoying if there's more than 4-5 people. Our first mission was to get to Due Torri (Two Towers) to see the view of the city. It's a pretty close and easy walk there from the hotel and the weather was perfect.
 

 

The two towers Garisenda and Asinelli are the traditional symbols of Bologna. Made in masonry work, used for military functions and representing the social prestige of the noble families that owned them. It's a 3 Euro ticket to get in and then you need to climb a lot of stairs to get to the top. It might seem like a lot of work but it's totally worth the effort plus think of how climbing the stairs will help tone your leg and give you a nice perky bum 😉
We then made our way down to check out Basilica di San Petronio but first we stopped at a chic little cafe for an Italian cappuccino and some cakes. I felt so not posh when we walked into that cafe haha, everyone was standing up having coffees and the small cakes cost like 5 Euro in contrast to the 1.70 Euro coffees😂
 

 

Doesn't matter where in the world you send me. I will always find food😂 and I couldn't pass up the chance to take a photo with this amazing Minion cake that's apparently for Valentines Day...

 

The inside of the cathedral was breathtaking and also incredibly intimidating. The work and effort that went into making and preserving this work of art is insane.They ask that you give a 2 Euro donation to the church if you want to take photos and videos which I really had no problem with seeing as it's a once in a while thing and if it goes towards preserving the beautiful building then go on.
 

 

We started talking to the 2 security guards standing outside and even though their English wasn't that good we still managed a hilarious conversation. Turns out one of them is heading to Thailand in July for a bit of island hopping and partying😂 I gave him a list of places to see and where to try some Muay Thai because I wouldn't be doing my job as a half Thai if I don't promote it right? 

 

 

Exploring this city by foot isn't hard at all, we walked around for a good 4-5 hours and even if you get lost people are more than happy to help you out. I'm happy I got to check another one of our Italian destinations off now I've got Venice to go! This is a city I would love to come back and explore some more, there's a few sites I wasn't able to see and next time I can even go check out Florence which is about an hour away so that's not a bad idea. 
Till next time Italy!

Next Stop: Cebu & Clark, Philippines 🇵🇭 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts