The Water Pump

yesterday the water pump decided it had worked long enough and it was time to go so with a loud bang and a cloud of smoke it died of old age sending panic through the electric wires causing the breaker box to short circuit and the entire house to black out. 

this wonderful event meant that there would be NO WATER..this was bad, it's strange how such a small thing can cause such a headache..no water meant there was no way to shower, wash clothes, do the dishes, give Simba a bath, or even mop the floors. if you know me at all not being able to clean up for one whole day is enough cause for a panic attack, especially if you have a beagle since they shed all day every day. 

the electricity still worked so that was ok. first thing I did was call the landlady and explain the situation, she said she would send her electrician over as soon as possible but that it would be later in the day around 5 or 6 which in Thai time meant 7 or 8..so now there was to be no running water until later this evening. that's tolerable enough, we could always walk out to 7-11 and buy a few 5 liter bottles of drinking water to use in the mean time, I've taken sponge baths before so 1 day won't kill me..

6pm roles around, the electrician isn't here yet but we're not surprised. I call the landlady again to check on his whereabouts and she says he's on his way and most likely stuck in traffic. we sit down in the living room and watch American Idol while we eat our yummy dinner and wait for the guy to show up.

at 7pm (see I told you) he shows up, takes a look and confirms that the pump has indeed given up the ghost and will need to be replaced with a younger, stronger model but this won't be done till tomorrow as they'll need to go buy it. great. now there won't be water all night. I'm not happy, Tony is more than unhappy about this, but we can't do anything but wait...there's also a water dispenser machine next door where we can purchase somewhat clean usable water for 1 thai baht a liter which isn't a bad deal at all so we fill up a few buckets before bed time.

I'm woken up by Simbas high pitched bark at 7am, at first I think it's the electrician and get all excited about the thought of taking a nice long shower and washing all the dirty dishes but when I go look it's the garbage men picking up the trash..he sees them everyday but still feels the need to bark..sometimes dogs are retarded. when the guy finally does show up he gives me bad news...they won't be able to get the new pump installed till later this afternoon. well darn it. now what am I supposed to do? I decided all I could do wash take a sponge bath using bottled water and try to remain calm, I don't know how the Survivor contestants manage..I've always wanted to compete but now I'm seriously questioning my mental ability to handle the no showers or brushing of teeth for over a month..ok now I'm grossed out just thinking about that..ew

anyways, I relay the news to Tony who is less than pleased as he should be, I mean come on, he's renting the place from you and your stuff keeps breaking down and you take forever to repair or replace it. I did tell the landlady she has to get this done quickly as I have a bunch of stuff to do and this is a big inconvenience for me. 

now I'm just dreaming of running water and taking a normal shower..the electricians come back at 3:30 and get to work to put the nice new shiny pump in which takes them about an hour. I know it might seem silly to you but the feeling of joy I felt when I heard the sound of running water and they told me it was working was amaaaaaaazing! now there's a shiny new pump that works well and we have water again! 

Comments

Popular Posts